With crampons on foot and ice axe in hand, get intimate with the ancient ice formations of Europe's largest glacier!
Trip difficulty: 3 out of 5 possible. Rated: Moderate. Available from Skaftafell.
Tour Highlights: Small Group Experience, Glacier Hike, Falljökull Glacier, Vatnajökull Glacier
Our Glacier Explorer tour takes you to Falljökull, one of the outlets glaciers of the Vatnajökull ice cap. We will take an inspiring walk along a winding path through the dramatically changing landscape carved out by the glacier. Arriving at the tongue of the glacier, we will gear up on crampons. With your guide leading the way, you will soon be exploring an impressive terrain.
This trip will provide you with plenty of photo opportunities and the chance to gain a deep understanding of this magnificent glacier, how it is formed and how it continues to change shape every day.
Meeting point: Departure from our Skaftafell booking center (gray house with the turf roof). Skaftafell is located 327km (203 miles) from Reykjavík. The nearest towns to Skaftafell are Kirkjubæjarklaustur, 69km to the west and Höfn, 130km to the east.
Disclaimer: All day trips are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. Arctic Adventures does not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by its customers or can be traced to there own actions. Participants have to sign a waiver before undertaking all trips stating that they realize that all outdoor activities carry an inherent risk.
Guided Glacier Hike
Certified Glacier Guide
Specialized Glacier Gear
All Necessary Safety Equipment
Food and beverages are not included
- Waterproof jacket and pants (We do have rental clothing available)
- Hiking boots (Available for rent, 1000 isk. We advise against runners or any type of shoe that comes up below the ankle bone as the straps on the crampons can get a bit painful during the walk)(Climbing boots are included on the ice climbing tour)
-Light sweater, wool or fleece
- Light synthetic or quick dry pants (Try and stay clear of jeans on the longer trips as they get wet & cold quick and dry slow)
- Thin Gloves
- Small Backpack (Can be handy to carry camera, rain gear and all extras)
- Sunglasses and sun protection (It can get quite bright on the ice with the reflection)
- Food and drinks (Lunch is not provided on any of our trips. June - September there is plenty of fresh water on the glacier so bring a bottle)
- Camera (If you forget everything else don´t forget that)
Why book with us?Our promise is to offer great products and superior customer service. If you need to cancel, make changes or help planning your vacation you can count on us to be there by your side.